Monday, August 13, 2007

Servitude

Have you ever had that churning feeling in your stomach, not from an upset tummy, but rather from knowing that you have missed something important.
I use to get the feeling quite often in school when I would leave my books atop the locker or in class when I would discover that my homework was still resting on my bed.
The all too familiar feeling was stirred below my gut once more today while rounding a turn to merge onto the interstate. A man sat along the curb near the emerald grass; thumb held at eye level. As centrifugal force pulled my vehicle through the turn, my eyes stayed behind; locked by the stranded pupils fading faster with each moment. We can say so much without even speaking.
I continued on my passage up the interstate for no longer than an exit. Something was calling me back and yet I doubted. Stories of hitchhiking killings sprang up in my mind like pop-ups. Every sense that I had was telling me to continue, that this could only end with disaster.
And yet, I turned my car around.
Deeper than all of the discombobulated thought that surged my view, one single concern silenced the chaos: He needs help.

A blue car pulled up next to me, parking just off the blacktop. As I rose from my grassy knoll, sleeping bag in hand, I couldn't help but grin. My journey was to continue.
Donalds da name. Nice to meet yue Josh.
I been travelin' since I was 'bout 14. Hitchhikin' some called it. My family'd been split since before then. Da eld'st wint wit my dad, da yung'st stay'd wit my mum. Bein' da oldest man of 15, they look'd to me fur supp'rt though I yearned fur nothin more then freedom. My beard grew out as I work'd my way through towns near Chattanooga. "There's only one Chattanooga is dis entire world." my granny us'd to tell me.
I've work'd in tanks, on boats, in ki'ch'ns.
Once I wus walkin' alongside da road wunce my beard done grown out. A man pull'd up next to me and ask'd if Id done sum thinkin' bout joinin' da army.
"I hav'd now."
I join'd da army fur three yers. Some guy attack'd me whilest I wus waitin in line fur my checkup. He threw me against da wall reel hard, but da instent my knees hit da floor, I wuz up throwin punches left and right. He grabb'd my arms tight and asked ifd I would stop.
"Never."
Frum that day on, I wus an army ranger, since da guy who'd assulted me already wus one of dat kind and da recrooters lik'd my will.
They trained us for a munth streight. Pullin' 24 hour days, restin' fur only 15 minuts wunce a day. We culdn't eat nothin' but whut we could find. We saw'd a chicken wonce. Boy did we have ad it. Took us near 15 minuts to catcht dat thing. Da strongest got da biggest peace. I think i had a leg, but it was grate. If'd da helicoptrs saw'd ya, they'd send tear gas. Boy did that burn. Whenevr we'd see those marine fella's we'd throw'd a can their ways just to poke fun. We know'd it wasn't right but we din't care.
Da man who threwd me gainst' da wall earlyer us'd to throw me out of my winda at nite fores I could wake to stop him. Aftr 'bout ten mornins of wakin' up in da outside with ony my boxrs on, I wis'd up. One nite, he came by to throw my mattress outside, and I wrapped my tow'l 'round his nek and drug him 'long fur da ride tue. He neverd thrown me out 'gain.
Wonce, I wus packin wit this truck drivr. He let me drive a Camera to his next plase. If i'd do it fur him, he'd board me fur da nite and giv me a hundred fur da trouble. So i wus like "ya! let's do it!"
Well, we pulled intu a club around midnite or so. He reeched into the gluv compertment and pulled oud a gun. I was like "I don't want no gun." He wint in and a few hours later, ran out followed by a group of 'em. They each had gunz to their side and start'd shootin da sky. I pick'd up that gun rite quick and said no more. My frind went back inside around 3am. I wus 'bout to go in and tell 'im thad I was just gonna keep packin' up the way so I went in and told him i'd leave. He followd. Wonce we left, he thank'd me all da way to da car, saying to himself how'd he didn't know how he was evr gonna make it out with his skin. Those guys weren't no good. I had sav'd him.
My wife, Mary, left me. She took evrythin'. I had a 300,000 dolla housedats gone. These bootz I've got came frum the last guy to drive me round. He let me wurk fur him fur a day then baught me these wurk bootz. It wus awful nice of him.
I've been sleepin anywher. In churches, last nite i wus outside the wendies with a tiny fire. Had sum beans 'n rice. I can cook. Use to cook for sailers. I make a harty meat gravy. I can also sing. Clubs down in Myrtle Beech wood let me sing fur hours. I sing cuntry, bloose, and wun rap song, but I can'd member wut its call'd. I can wurk with metals, woods, not that technologi stuff thou, my dau'ter is in two that stuff. I don't git it. See my hands, these workin' hands.
I have a son, and dau'ter. Haven't seen eider in a bit. I do call thou and tell 'em "HEY! Im in Virginia!" They like that stuff.
My granny is at home. She won't go to no "home", so we keep hur 'round and get hur to do stuff with us. She likes to knit. I bet I got every color of da rainbow in throws. Red, yella, bloo, green, tenessee color. She asks me wut color I wante next and Im like "It's up tue you grandma, you alredy made me the rainbow." I luv her.

We had gotten caught in traffic on the way. Stopped to nothing more than a snail's pace. Donald really enjoyed talking and I didn't mind the company. My original destination of Monroe, to visit my college had since been extended to somewhere in Detroit. The heat was sweltering. He had with him a small grayish-blue backpack, and what appeared to be an army sleeping bag. The water he pulled from his pocket was lemon flavor and carbonated. He didn't care for it too much, but it was wet.
We stopped off a ways into Detroit to get directions to the nearest day-hand shop. Somewhere that he would be able to make some quick cash with no obligation of staying. They redirected us to a place down the street, "The minuteman." A lovely park lined with trees lay opposite the beaten neighborhood. The outskirts of Detroit were nothing more than a small Hispanic villa. Not knowing what any of the signs meant left us both at a loss (I don't not speak Spanglish but props to Adam Sandler), but out of the corner of our peripherals we spotted sanctuary. A church. Pulling up to the curb, he jumped out and grabbing his bags, thanking me for the trouble.
It was no trouble at all, my friend.
God Bless.
As quickly as he had come into my life, he had vanished without a trace.
The trip back had such severe stop-go traffic, it felt as though by the time I would stand outside my car again I might be 5 lbs lighter. Lols.

My thoughts on this journey fell to a few stories I remember hearing when I was growing up.
One was of the good Samaritan. One individual among a few who was willing to help another and go out of his way to ensure that person's wellbeing.
The other, of a man waiting for Jesus to show up at his house. Three men came to his door, each asking for something; but the man denied them and sent them on their way.
The next day he questioned the Lord asking "why didn't you visit me last night."
I did, three times.
*Reference to Matthew 25:31-46*

I know this isn't the exact translation, but it captures the essence of what I'm trying to get across. Christ comes to us in many forms and when we least expect him. We just need to realize to open our door when he knocks.
The text itself may seem rather harsh, but I don't believe it is meant to scare us. More so encourage us to help our fellow man, those without and needing of someone's hand to pick them back up.

Maybe it's where the golden rule was derived from. Some ancient story of Jesus helping another in need. It's cool to find something of direct relevance from the past, yet disappointing to discover that school's will not credit the bible for the phrase. Actually, if you look up such a verse, or even Google it (Google has one-upped most things, even the discovery of sliced bread...sadly enough), you will find the biblical reference to "Do unto others"...and such *Matthew 7:12--Nice*

A few years before I attended Senior week, they held a session devoted to this idea of helping our brothers. The mural hung from the rafters depicted 2 frogs holding each other, carrying one another's burdens if you will. I found the frogs silly for they were wearing clothes that appeared to be from the GAP (the greeters at that store have some of the biggest smiles ever, they are just purely made of bubbles) but the point was well made.
As Christians we are always meant to seek after the likeness of God. To live, to the best of our abilities, in a "Godly" manner. While many will argue that such miracles as raising the dead from their graves is impossible (yet undoubtedly one of the coolest things ever), they are right. But God is not expecting us to become involved in the arts of necromancy. He just wants us to help each other, to go out of our way to meet someone else's needs other than fulfilling our own selfish nature. Christ himself was a very humble guy. I know that in my walk with him I will sometimes allow pride to hinder me from the selfless acts he lays at my doors step. Sometimes it is due to feeling uncomfortable in a given moment, or scared. At my weakest times, it's while others are around and I cannot bring myself to displease the crowd. It is for these moments I am eternally sorry, and have repented a thousand times over. For knowing the right thing and avoiding it, is sin, or so we are told *James 4:17*
Have you ever found yourself being able to relate to any specific disciple? An event happens and you are reminded of a bible story of similar nature? One day I may feel like Moses, nervous because they asked me to read scripture in front of the congregation and the text contains a bunch of big words and names that I know I'm either going to stumble over or giggle about because I have an odd sense of humor and silly words tickle me (*weaned-look it up, there is nothing too flashy about it, but I once spent a 30 minute class period beat red and in tears over this word, thanks Rems). The next instant, I feel like Peter. The one man who submitted to stay with Christ until the end only to "cop out" when interrogated by the crowd. We are all familiar with his story, I hope, but for those who need a topper.

--side note--
I read up on the chapter before hand, so don't feel guilty looking back. Please feel free.
--end side note--

Mark 14 is all about the passover, the time laid by for Christ to give us the unleavened bread and wine which represent his broken body and blood that would cover the sins of many.
There are so many lessons that can be pulled from this chapter, from the lady and the perfume to the dreaded "group-think" but we'll stick with "copping out" for now.
Anyway, Jesus sends two disciples ahead to prepare the room in some man's house. While they are feasting (The Lord's Supper), he announces that he will be betrayed by one of the guests at his table and everyone instinctively denies their liability. Jesus was of course, referring to Judas Iscariot who later is revealed for selling out the savior for 30 pieces of silver. Jesus then ventures into the garden of Gethsemane where he prays to the Lord that the hour pass and the cup be taken from him. Honestly, this does not seem like an unreasonable request given that he knows exactly how he's going to leave this earth and how much torture he is about to endure. Jesus with his selfless nature then submits to his father's will (Not my will but thine...) and leaves the Garden to find his men asleep. After being disappointed in their ability to stay awake while he's praying, they are joined by Judas who is being accompanied by a "crowd armed with swords and clubs" (NIV). Judas plants a betraying smooch on Jesus cheek which was the hidden signal (Not like that in Pee-Wee's playhouse. That random secret word always made me giggle Ha ha.) And Jesus is taken away.
Later while Jesus is before the Sanhedrin, everyone is falsely accusing him and mixing his words. He is the strong silent type and admits merely to being the Christ, the son of the blessed one (again NIV). They blind-fold him and begin beating him. All-the-while, Peter is watching from a distance in the courtyard, relaxing fireside with the guards. Trouble starts when a servant girl recognizes him. He denies his affiliation with Jesus and the prophesy is fulfilled that he will deny the Lord 3 times before the rooster crows.

As I said, there are times when I feel as Peter. Promising my servitude unto death for my savior but chickening out when the pressure is on. Does this mean we are less of Christians? I certainly hope not. The Lord knew Peter was going to leave his side through the ridicule. He knew that this would be his burden to bear, for all mankind. But the last verse depicts Peter's attitude once the deed is done. Verse 72: And he broke down and wept. Peter knew what he had done was against everything he had spoke of. If we do not catch all of the moments where God presents himself to us, he doesn't want us to beat ourselves up over the issue, just be better watchmen next time. Locking ourselves in our rooms and moping is not going to solve anything, nor will it progress our search for a more Christ-like life.

I'm not saying that next time you should find someone one the side of the road that you should feel obligated to pick them up, not at all. It's sad how today's society can create in us such fear. This was merely my experience. The advice I have is to merely answer when you hear him. Whether moved by his voice or through a feeling in your gut, act upon it.
We are instructed to be there for one another. Praying for each other, when physical presence is unattainable and supporting our brother throughout life's struggles.

(Hums Bill Withers: "Lean on Me". -Classic-)

Ecclesiastes 4:10
10 If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!

Scripture to ponder:
Matthew 20:16

It's 3:33am here, I may retire for the night. Sleep well everyone.
-Deus Fortuno-

No comments: