Monday, August 6, 2007

Father God

Camp has a reputation of causing its harmonious songs to become trapped in one's head long after leaving. One such song that has been stuck on repeat in my mind has been: Father God. For all those that may be unfamiliar with the lyrics they are as follows:

"Father God, just for today;
help me to walk, your narrow way.
Help me stand, where I might fall;
give me the strength to hear your call.

May my steps, be worship;
May my thoughts, be praise;
May my words, bring honor to your name.
(repeat chorus)

It's easy to get ahead of ourselves. We get so caught up in the future and planning ahead that we start losing focus on the task at hand. Our father has granted us life for today, tomorrow is not even promised. We should praise him in everything that we do. Yet sometimes, our trust in the Lord falters and we may temporarily lose faith that he will see us through the rough times that plague us throughout our journey. But he is faithful to his children as long as we seek him.
What I really love about this song, is that it offers a simple prayer that completely covers the temptations one may experience in a given day.
Father God, may you always receive the praise for guiding us along the way.

No comments: